19th c painted country house sign for Captain de Saumarez of the Grenadier Guards
A rather substantial cast iron sign in the original paint for Captain de Saumarez of Shrubland Park, 4th Baron de Saumarez of the Grenadier Guards.
James Saumarez was the 4th Baron de Saumarez (1843-1937) - he rose to a Captain in the Grenadier Guards before joining the diplomatic service in 1867. He was educated at Eton.
He was the grandson of Admiral Lord de Saumarez. On the death of her uncle Admiral Sir George Broke-Middleton, his wife inherited Shrubland Park, Coddenham, Suffolk. The 7th Baron de Saumarez sold Shrubland Park in 2006.
Shrubland Park is an historic English country house built in the 1770s.
The hall was used as a convalescent home during the First World War and as Brigade HQ during the Second World War.
In original condition with delightful time worn paint.
Measuring: 40 cm x 12 cm
English, c. 1880s